In honor of this special day, a tribute to @austinnexus, one of my very favorite people in the world. Here are just a few of the many things he’s taught me:
1. Never let an editor catch you in Chuck Taylors.
2. If you eat healthy 99% of the time – you are entitled to one (1) Mocha Chip Blizzard on every trip through Baker, CA.
3. When it comes to accounting trade shows…nothing good happens after midnight.
4. There’s no such thing as too much (good) coffee.
5. Good things happen to those who follow through and take advantage of every opportunity – even if it takes longer than you think it should.
6. With the right business purpose – you can justify paying just about anything for a great pair of shoes.
7. Always look toward the future – and think about what you want your shoe closet to look like.
8. Your network and your reputation are both fragile: handle with care.
9. You can never be too prepared for a natural disaster.
10. A ride to (or pick up from) the airport can sometimes be the most treasured gift.
11. Let him carry your bags – you’ll be glad you did when you’re pushing his wheelchair in 40 years.
12. The Bellagio tram door won’t even wait for someone as important as him.
13. The best kind of bar is a raw bar.
14. It is perfectly acceptable to drive straight from the gym to In-N-Out Burger as long as it’s not more than once a month.
15. Never underestimate a 4 hour car ride through the Mojave Desert…it just might change your life forever.
Happy 50th Birthday, Mr. Publicist! May the next 50 be even better than the first…
Great advice, Kim! Thanks so much for posting!
Some great lessons there! He is a truly great (and orange) man 🙂